Saturday, January 31, 2009

One reason I've been working so hard to simplify is that I want more leisure time. More leisurely time. One of the things I want to do with that leisurely time is spend it with other people.

That means I have to be crafty, because most other people in this world believe that they are supposed to be hustling around like maniacs all the time. I shouldn't point fingers; I suffer from this syndrome, too. Sometimes I'll be at a get-together and even as I'm enjoying myself I'm thinking, "If only I could check my email while we talk."

I remember a time when guests would come over and I couldn't get them to leave. It'd be two o'clock in the morning, the kids still up, and I'd think, "Man, would they just go home?" Now I can't get them to stay more then two - three hours before they get jittery and start edging for the door, and no, I don't think I've gotten that boring as I've aged. I can see it on their faces; they're missing their fix. They haven't checked their stocks in an hour. What if there's breaking news and they haven't seen it? Maybe someone's started a fight on their favorite forum and everyone's choosing sides!

What's a girl to do?



Face it, I'm forced to make coming to my house better than the internet (or tv). That's a heck of a lot of pressure. One way I lure people in is with food. Today the prey was a gaggle of teenage boys my son brought home to play Dungeons and Dragons in the basement. They were slated to be here from 10 am to 6 pm, which is pretty bold in this age of split-second entertainment. Kudos to my son to get kids to commit to any activity that lasts that long. I had to take steps to make it a success.

This called for pizza, and lots of it. And that's how I spent my day. 10 pans of homemade pizza later, plus a plateful of homemade cookies, and I think they were hooked. One kid apparently ate a whole pizza by himself. I'm feeling pretty self-satisfied tonight, but this is just the tip of the iceberg. I've got my work cut out for me if I'm going to start a slow-socializing movement here in town.

No comments: