Saturday, August 30, 2008

Yep - I'm a Pack Mule


It's day 12 (or 13?) of my month without a car and I have to say for the most part it's going well. I am certainly getting more exercise - and more time with the various family members I drag along on my jaunts through town.

The one ongoing problem is that I see unable to judge how much I can actually carry. If I take a grocery cart into the store with me, forget it - I'm hooped. But even if I limit myself to a basket, I still end up with more than I can reasonably get home.

Yesterday was one of those days. I staggered out of the store laden down with a full backpack, a full cloth bag and a gallon of milk only to find out it had begun to rain. As I shuffled my way home, my arms stretching more with each passing block, the rain grew heavier, until I could no longer pretend it was just a "heavy mist". By the time I walked through my front door I was soaked through and downright cranky.

I kicked off my shoes and peeled off my jacket. Then I brought all the groceries into my bedroom and got on the scale. I weighed myself with my bundles and then I weighed myself without them. Care to guess how much I was carrying?

Forty pounds!

Today I set off with the best of intentions. I had three things on my list: Scotchguard, cereal and a calendar. That's easy enough to carry home, I thought.

I didn't factor in the stop at the library where I stuffed my backpack full of books. Nor did I factor in the sale Staples was having on 3-in-1 printer/scanner/photocopiers. I've done without a printer for a year now. Guess what I dragged home?

On the plus side, I'm getting stronger. I can feel it in my muscles and in the energy I have. I talked more with my daughter this morning than I did all last week. Walking is a good thing. I'll definitely keep it up.

1 comment:

Laura Corin said...

It sounds like you need a shopping trolley/backpack on wheels. When I lived in Hong Kong, and shopped/did library trips on foot, I put the heaviest things into my backpack on wheels and it really made a difference.

Laura