Sunday, May 17, 2009

Stepping Off the Cliff

When was the last time you were really brave?

Isn't it such a good feeling when you step up to the plate and take a good, hard swing at a fastball, even when you don't feel qualified to be playing in the game?

It's such a rush of terror and exhileration - it always makes me want to laugh out loud.



I've been brave these past few months; not just once, but over and over again.

I was brave when I hired an artist to create a banner for the novel I'm self-publishing. I've never worked with an artist before, and the experience of telling someone exactly what to do, and then telling them what to change when they did so, was entirely brand new and wonderful.

I was brave when I decided to call up our local rec department and offer to teach some classes - something else I've never done before. It all went better than I could have dreamed, and now I'm slated to teach three courses this summer.

I was brave when the woman who coordinates those courses offered me a position running their preschool next year and I went for it. I hadn't planned on picking up this kind of job, but I saw an opportunity and trusted that it was the right thing to do.

Over the next few months I will be launching a book, teaching classes, earning money, creating curriculum, working on a website and tons more. Suddenly I'm inundated with opportunities, as if the Universe was saying, "Yes! Yes! Yes!"

It's a good place to be and I think being brave has something to do with it.

Along with clearing out enough junk in my life to make space for all these new opportunities to happen.

No comments: