Saturday, April 4, 2009

Sunday Brunch, Revisited (Or...Be Careful What You Wish For)

Remember how I was talking about wanting to run a fake Sunday Brunch restaurant a few days ago? Looks like I might get my first chance in a couple of weeks.

Two days ago, I attended the final lecture of the Terrace Lecture Series, which happened to be about local foods. A nice young man named Pete stood up and talked about the state of local food today in Terrace. Then the audience chimed in with what they knew or were interested in finding out.

By the end of the lecture, the auditorium was buzzing. People are interested in local foods, farmers markets, supporting local farmers and more. The question was asked, "What are we going to do to harness this energy?" There didn't seem to be an immediate answer.

"How about setting up a Meetup website?" I offered. That's what the Sustainable Living group in Santa Cruz had done and it seemed to be a viable way for people to keep each other abreast of what was going on in the community. Today I set up the site and designed our first "Meetup"; a local foods brunch at my house in a couple weeks' time. We'll eat local food and network about our future plans.



I'm getting a 50 lb. sack of potatoes grown locally next week, and something needs to be done with all those potatoes, so my plan is to oven-roast a ton of them the day before, and then slice them up and fry them up with some garlic and herbs. I'll also get a bunch of local eggs and make heaps of french toast with my homemade bread. It won't be a totally "local foods" meal, but it will be a start. I wonder if anyone will want to attend? I wonder if everyone will want to attend, LOL?

I wonder if we'll eat 50 pounds of potatoes?

No comments: