Friday, January 23, 2009

Time For A Check In

"I don't know what's wrong with us. It's like we can only think about one day at a time; we can't seem to make any plans for the future."

That's what my mom said the other day when I asked her if she and my dad were coming to visit us this year. I know exactly what she means, too. It's January, the month in which everything seems to come to a big, grinding halt. The month in which there isn't nearly enough money and way too many days. The month in which you jot down a list of things to do and then lose it immediately. The month in which spring seems light years away.



I planned to finish "halving" my bedroom yesterday, but I forgot to do it. Somehow the entire day disappeared in half-hearted internet searches and online conversations. Today I am resolved to do better.

You have to fight the January blahs actively. It's too darn cold to go outside for more than a few minutes, so I'm going to get my heart rate up inside. I'm going to put on my current audio-tape (The Year of Living Biblically) and plow through this room. There isn't a whole lot to do, so I can do it well. Then I can feel like I accomplished something.

I'm also going to look back at my "fun" plans for this month and figure out if there's anything left for the final week. I already have lots of fun things planned for February - dance lessons, a trip to California, a night out dancing on Valentine's....

How about you? Are you scheduling things to look forward to into your calendar? Give it a try - it really helps!

2 comments:

L Harris said...

Thanks for the reminder of planning fun stuff. We have fun planned for today. And next week. I wonder what February holds. Off to look at the calendar.

DebMc said...

January blahs...Oh yeah, we get them here, too.

Goals really help me stay on track. Thanks for the reminder to check my lists.