Monday, January 12, 2009

Get Rid Of It - You Know The Outfit I Mean!

I think I mentioned that I'm in a group of women working our way through a book called, The Artist's Way. We read a chapter every two weeks, do a lot of journaling and the "tasks" that the book sets, then come together and talk about our experiences.

One of the tasks the author set last week was to go through your closet and pull out the one outfit that you hate - the one that makes you feel rotten every time you wear it, but you keep because it's perfectly good...

Well, you know how much I love weeding through stuff. You'd think by this time I'd have gotten rid of all those kinds of outfits, but you'd be wrong. I hate bulky sweaters and I hate pants, but I live in the northwest of British Columbia, so I spend about three-quarters of my time here dressed in pants and bulky sweaters. I hit the thrift stores each fall and load up on new sweaters, but by December I hate them all. No. I don't hate them....I loathe them.



I used to be a big proponent of setting fire to the things you hate. Luckily, I got a little more ecologically minded. Plus it's dripping wet here all the time in January, so bonfires are out. I'm happy to say that I very obediently went into my closet the other day and pulled out the most offensive sweater I own - a stupid blue one that makes me look like a fuzzy Butterball turkey. It will never darken my door again, but perhaps someone else will just love it. And perhaps that person will decide to clear out her closet and the next time I go to Goodwill or the consignment store, there it will be - the one sweater I actually like. There's always hope, right?

Is one of those outfits hiding in your closet right now? The one you punish yourself with when you're already having a crappy day? The one you put on because "no one's going to see you anyway and you didn't even wash your hair today so what's the use?" The one you wear because you gained five pounds and it's how you deserve to look?

Burn it!

Ahem, I mean donate it today - someone will like it, right? And you'll have cleared a place in your closet for something new, exciting and pretty to come your way. You can't accept the Universe's bounty until you clear out your pantry, right?

Get to it!

No comments: