Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Confessions and Unintended Consequences


I'm on day twenty-three of my month without a car and I have a confession to make; I took a ride.

This past weekend the local golf course held its championship. My husband played in the tournament and he took me to dinner at the golf course on Saturday night. It was too far to walk (seven miles or so) and my husband was driving there anyway. I suppose if I was hard-core I'd have stayed home, but this only happens once a year and dh really wanted to go.

The good news is that's twenty-two out of twenty-three days without using my car. It doesn't have the same ring to it as going thirty days without driving at all, but it's a more practical goal in the long term, and that's what I'm after, really - a sustainable way to use my car much less.

It's working, too - the kids are used to walking to their activities. My daughter loves taking the bus to school. Getting out of the house and walking her to the bus stop each morning is usually enough to motivate me to go for a long walk or jog. I've done all my shopping on foot, all my errands and lunch dates, too. I even walked to class yesterday at the local community college.

In other words, walking has become a way of life.

But here's the unintended consequence. I was sure as soon as I started this experiment that any weight I'd gained over the summer would slide right off. What I didn't take into account was that all this walking around in the fresh air and sunshine was going to make me RAVENOUS!

And I also didn't take into account that now that we're baking all our own bread and snacks it's all so delicious it's twice as hard to forgo eating it. Can you say double whammy?

I'm not going to give up on this, though. Surely, in the end, both the walking and the eating of fresh, non-chemical laden food will be for the best. Right? Right?

1 comment:

Jeanne said...

I am so proud of you! I can go most of the week without using my car, but come the weekend, I'm ready for a change of scenery.